Author Topic: Moving User Album to a General Album as Child Album  (Read 24364 times)

ape666

Moving User Album to a General Album as Child Album
« on: July 07, 2009, 08:27:44 am »
Just upgraded to the 2.0 beta SMF Media Gallery, using SMF 1.1.9

First of all: Thank you very much for your great work!

My first suggestion: If a User Album is moved to a General Album as a Child Album (by the Admin), it should become a General Album aswell.

When moving it as mentioned, does this affekt anything right now? It's not beeing displayed in the General Album.

Or is there a reason why it stayes a User Album?

My second suggestion: Would be nice, if theres an option of moving ALL files of an album to another album.

My third suggestion:
Users should be allowed to create General Albums (maybe an option with the permissions?)

Thanx for your time & keep up the GREAT work!!!

Nao

• WEDGE!
Re: Moving User Album to a General Album as Child Album
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 03:51:39 pm »
1/ Users can now use per-album permissions to create a permission profile that will allow anyone to post in their album. Then this album will behave like a general album... Alternatively, you can also modify its album type via phpMyAdmin. UPDATE smf_mgallery_album SET type='general' WHERE id_album= your_album_id

2/ phpMyAdmin, again. I'm not implementing that, personally.

3/ See (1). Although these won't appear in the homepage as general albums. Just change the album type manually (see 1, again.)
« Everyone knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. » (Homer Simpson)

Developer of Wedge, the SMF fork.
No PM support! Or I'll eat you with salad and garlic sausage.

ape666

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 03:49:54 am »
Thanx Nao for the reply! Really appreciate it - knowing you got tons of other stuff to do.

My thoughts:
What`s the point of moving a User Album into a General Album then? It won't show for other member/admins. -> after doing so, it couses a bug when the owner lists his albums.

Nao

• WEDGE!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 05:00:47 am »
>What`s the point of moving a User Album into a General Album then?

You tell me. Why would anyone do that anyway?
« Everyone knows rock attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact. » (Homer Simpson)

ape666

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 06:08:26 am »
^ because it's possible?  ;)

for example: General Album: Jackos Funeral
5 Users are also creating separate album with pics of it. Now the admin could move all the User Albums as Child Albums in one General album (if user made it public), all having the same reference to one occasion and can be found it the General Album.

Nao

• WEDGE!
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 06:37:30 am »
Uh... I'm not sure the users would like that, really.
You might want to create a general album and ask them to move their pictures over there (or do it yourself).

ape666

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 06:55:27 am »
hmm ... I got the request by some of my users. -> the albums could be found more easily.

different example: General Album: Motorcyles
User makes an album whis his bike -> to be found in General Album Motorcyles.

Nao

• WEDGE!
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 07:07:02 am »
I'm guessing what you want is a shortcut to another album... :P

BTW, you can do playlists with your favorite pictures in them... If that's what you want (gather all thematic pictures into a single place...)

ape666

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 10:50:10 am »
I'm guessing what you want is a shortcut to another album... :P

thats kind of what we're doing now.
Listing all user-albums in the forum with the contents "motorcyles" in one topic "user bikes". each user has his own pictures of his bike in his own User-Album clickable as a link, regardless if he sets permissions for others to upload/comment/ ...

like:                                            would be:
User bikes                      -> General Album

"mikes bike"                     -> User Album & Child Album of Users bikes
"apes bike"                       -> User Album & Child Album of Users bikes

this has to be done in the forum, which is fine. I just thought it would be nice, if this could be done within the gallery itself using Child Albums (having one General album).
IMHO gives that a possibility to have the Albums more structured.

Nao

• WEDGE!
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 12:10:08 pm »
Sure... But I'm leaving all album structure stuff to Dragooon, because we never agreed on this, and since he wrote it, well I'm not touching it ;) It and its bugs eheh.

ape666

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 04:50:45 am »
I understand.
Since it seems not to be the worst suggestion ever made, you might could consider this for the future  ;D
Thanx for the good work!

Btw: German translator needed?

dannbass

• Translator
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 01:12:02 am »
I did the opposite, I changed some general albums to user albums, I really wanted to do that  before, since I converted from other gallery, but now the Owner: XXXXXXX is not generated, is there another query to run to say who's the owner of the album?

I solved this by editing manually the table in my phpMyAdmin.  :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 11:37:18 am by dannbass »

timmytimmy

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 07:16:39 am »
I am finding that the suggestion/request by the original poster in this thread is something I would like as well. 

If a user creates an album that would theoretically fit into our public gallery, fills it up with content, I can't set is as public (without going into phpadmin). 

This wouldn't be such an issue if there was a way to select multiple files at once and move them to another gallery, but that still doesn't seem to be an option. 

I am begging you guys to add multiple-item selection with an option to move the files into a different directory.  Having to move items 1 by 1 can be a real nightmare!

Nao

• WEDGE!
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 03:29:15 pm »
Why move items 1 by 1? You just need to set album_of to 0 in the smf_mgallery_albums table...

timmytimmy

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 07:34:27 pm »
Why move items 1 by 1? You just need to set album_of to 0 in the smf_mgallery_albums table...

i was just experimenting with this a little.  you also need to change the "type" to "general."  simply changing the "album_of" to "0" is not enough.

thanks though nao you rock!